The Control of Dogs Order 1992 states that:
– every dog while in a highway or in a place of public resort shall wear a collar with the name and address of the owner inscribed on the collar or on a plate or badge attached to it.
(2) Paragraph (1) above shall not apply to–
- (a)any pack of hounds,
- (b)any dog while being used for sporting purposes,
- (c)any dog while being used for the capture or destruction of vermin,
- (d)any dog while being used for the driving or tending of cattle or sheep,
- (e)any dog while being used on official duties by a member of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces or Her Majesty’s Customs and Excise or the police force for any area,
- (f)any dog while being used in emergency rescue work, or
- (g)any dog registered with the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association.